Monday, January 11, 2010

Time to Shine!

I am so excited! I have been asked to lead a Shine Shop again this year at the SHINE Conference. I will be speaking to mothers about their relationship with their daughters (and sons). I didn't really think I should be leading a breakout session on "mothering" as I'm just getting to the good part (my oldest is 15). But God impressed upon me that it is imperative that I share what I do know....and that is how my relationship was with my mom.

My parents were (and still are!) wonderful, Godly people. They did what they knew, which is just what their parents did. We didn't talk about much. I didn't know if we ever had money troubles and never saw my parents have an argument. They didn't talk about sex, drugs, etc. except to tell me not to do it. There was no open door for discussion, no reasons for things that didn't make sense. I assumed they had been perfect, obedient teens, and that their adult lives had been stress-free. When my life began to unravel in college, I didn't turn to my mom. I didn't really turn to anyone. Mistake after mistake turned into depression and shame, and I didn't know how to make the Crazy Train stop. I needed help, but I didn't know where to turn.

My session will discuss being an accessible parent. One your child knows she can come to. That doesn't mean that we dig out all the "skeletons in the closet." But it does mean being open and honest. When we don't discuss things with our kids, they make up their own reasons/excuses/ideas. They yearn for answers, and if we aren't available to lead them to the answers that God has given us in His Word, and share the experiences we have been through, then our sweet children will look elsewhere. To our children, we become either dark and mysterious, or holy and perfect. Inaccessible.

Nothing would be a better testimony to the power of Christ's love than to share your own true story of redemption with your child. God really has given us the tools...His Word and our past. Sharing parts of our past can be very hard. But God will lead you to share the right words at the right time. You will be amazed at the power your life can have on your children!

Your sweet child already thinks you are the greatest...imagine what she'll think when she also knows you are real.

No comments:

Post a Comment