Monday, January 25, 2010

Email from God

I love it when God reminds me of His love and Sovereignty. Sometimes these reminders come as a pat on the back...recognition for following Him. But sometimes God has to remind me in a more in-your-face way. These reminders always interrupt something-- a pity party, a gloat fest, me ogling something I am coveting. 
I was sitting in the doctors office with my youngest daughter, Abby, the weariness weighing heavy on me. She has been battling cancer for almost four years. As the doctor examines her and tells me to bring her back in tomorrow, I feel the frustration rising in me. The 80 mile round trip drive wears me out and I'm realizing we'll be making the trip every day this week. I don't say it, but my spirit is thinking "Why? Why now?"  
The doctor leaves to order Abby's antibiotic and I plop back in my chair. My phone dings, signaling an email. I don't usually take email, calls, or texts during doctor visits, but I know we have a bit of wait. I figure I'll read my emails, which are certainly junk, then play a game or check Facebook. I open the email, which is from my Wednesday evening Bible study leader, and I see exactly what I need at that moment...what God knows I need to hear. The body of the email contains Paul's words in Hebrews reminding us that sometimes, life is exhausting, frustrating, confusing.
        
   Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12: 1-3

Finding joy in my struggles is not always easy, but realizing my God loves me enough to send me an email to remind me to persevere sure does help!!

No comments:

Post a Comment