Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, Renewed Spirit

I love the new year. I'm not sure why I feel like I need January 1 to start a project or meet a new goal. Maybe I'm just ready for 2010 to be over since it was such tough year. And I am ready to set new goals for growth. My hopes are high for this year. This is partly due to our pastor's sermon this morning. He spoke of regret.

I have burdened myself with so much regret over the years that I don't even realize the weight I carry. I ask for forgiveness, I repent, but for some reason, I still load myself down with unfulfilled dreams, unmet goals, and unrealistic expectations. Instead of learning from my mistakes, I continue to haul them around with me. I become defined in my family (and with close friends) by what I haven't done and what I didn't finish.

So this year, I am starting fresh. My past will be left behind. I will move forward with new goals for myself. No regret for what I didn't accomplish in 2010. No regret for all that was wrong, that didn't work out. I have a lifetime ahead of me, and if I spend it looking back, I know things will never change.

One of my goals this year is to write more. I have been asked to lead a Bible study at church, and I am in the middle of studying Isaiah in BSF. I hope to have much to share as God speaks to me through His Word in these studies. I have also committed to memorizing scripture as part of the Siesta Scripture Memory Team. Spending more time in God's Word is my most important goal this year, and I hope to share the impact this has in my life.

Welcome 2011. I'm ready!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    I love what you wrote, so honest and I can relate. I really like these words you wrote;

    "Spending more time in God's Word is my most important goal this year"

    Thats what it's all about, thats how we get to know Him better, and greater love, and thirst follows. I am with you 100%, as I also will be doing this.

    Great post!

    God bless you, and Happy new year
    m.k.

    ReplyDelete